Island Market Update
May 8th, 2020
ISLAND MARKET OPENS NEW COFFEE BAR!
A place you already fell in love with 32 years ago
This announcement is bitter but mostly sweet (pun intended; you’ll see why). The Orcas community was saddened by the closing of Teezers in 2017 and went through withdrawals until Mark and Carolyn blessed us with their cookies at the Farmers Market. We were excited when they started making them available for resale last fall in our bakery at Island Market, and so were many of you.
Recently Mark and Carolyn moved to Texas to be closer to family, which means the days of them making us their amazing cookies have come to an end. They approached us about the possibility of buying their business and opening a coffee and cookie shop within Island Market so the community could continue to enjoy their amazing morsels of goodness. We were humbled by the proposal and had concerns about being able to provide the exact same cookie we have all come to enjoy. Mark, along with his daughters, committed to training select staff in our bakery on “the secret sauce.” The recipes have been transferred, training has commenced, and our staff is up to the task of keeping the Teezer’s legacy going for many years to come.
Once our remodel is complete, we will be relaunching “Teezer’s Cookies and Coffee House” as the newest member of the Island Market family. The location, the staff, and the vibe will be a little different, but the cookies, and the local family spirit, will be the same. We will do our best to make Mark and Carolyn proud as we continue to delight the Orcas Island community with amazing cookies, great coffee and a friendly smile from the other side of the counter.
From the Island Market Family to the Bledsoe family: thank you for trusting us with what you have built over the last 32 years. We can’t wait to carry on the tradition!
The Linnes Family
June 10, 2021
We have created a map of our store to make it easier for you to find things when you stop by. You can obtain a downloadable version by Clicking Here
January 24, 2020
We have created a map of our store while we are under construction heat will make it easier for you to find things when you stop by. You can obtain a downloadable version by Clicking Here.
October 22, 2019
Permit is back from the County and we are planning to break ground in the first half of November. Phase 1 will be adding more area in front of the store for seating and better placement of shopping carts. This phase will not be very impacting to the inside of the store. Starting in January we will start phase 2 which will close the deli while we rebuild. Stay tuned for more details and pictures as the fun begins.
July 19, 2019
The latest rendering of what your market will look like after this winters project. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Permit is at the county!
January 15, 2019
Dear Orcas Community,
We received a lot of very valuable feedback from the first 3 designs and decided to go with a 4th option that we felt met the needs of the project and gave our town the look everyone would like. The Market is one of the largest buildings in our little town so we want to ensure we maintain the character of our island while meeting the needs of our customers. This design also gives us more space for seating and allows for easier access through the store while shopping.
Timing update: We are planning to begin construction late September 2019 in order to reduce the impact on our shoppers.
Stay tuned for more updates!
Jacob and Jason
December 14, 2018
We would like to thank you all for your feedback on the 3 designs for the front of the store. Based on the feedback we are making a few more adjustments and going with a 4th option that we feel fits our community the best and provides the best function inside the store. In order to get all of the designs compete and ensure the construction goes as we planned we are going to start construction after next summer and should be complete by Spring 2020. As we progress through the process we will be sharing updates with all of you. We welcome your feedback and look forward to sharing the new space with all of you.
Sign up below so we can share our progress along the way.
Jacob and Jason Linnes
Brief description of the project and goal
This winter we will be updating several key areas of the store including the deli, bakery, coffee bar area along with the front end. To make the changes necessary we are changing the front of the store to offer a new seating along with more space surrounding the checkout for better flow. The goal of this project is to create an easier shopping experience and increase our prepared food offerings and space to sit and enjoy your meal.
Q & A
Every day we get requests and feedback from customers and employees about ways to improve both the shopping experience and employee experience. Here are some of the ideas and solutions:
- Provide more options in the deli that are healthy and made in house.
- We are adding new ovens and cook tops to give our cooks more options to prepare food in house and investing in our kitchen staff with a new training program.
- Make the lines go faster during busy times.
- We are adding a belt system to our registers to increase the speed at checkout and allow us to get new smaller shopping carts with customer unload.
- It’s too crowded near the registers when it’s busy and makes it hard to shop.
- We are moving the registers closer to the front of the store to allow more room between the aisle and registers as well as a new register layout that adds several lanes for busy times. We will also have more quick check registers to support coffee and deli purchases.
- It’s too cold in the store during the winter.
- We are working with an architect to design the front entry to reduce the amount of cold air that leaks into the store as well as adding fans to push warm air down from the ceiling.
- There isn’t enough space to sit and have lunch in the deli.
- There will be a new seating area in the front of the store that will be dedicated to enjoying your meal with twice the seating as we have today plus more options outside when the weather is nice.
- PLEASE get the smaller shopping carts.
- The additional space, new style of register will allow us to utilize smaller shopping cart as well as a larger option for the big shops.
We will be updating the community on all things related to the project on this page.
Jacob and Jason Linnes
Want to stay updated on all things going on at Orcas Island Market, including our remodeling progress? Fill out your information below and tell us what you are interested in and we will get you added!